Thursday, June 01, 2006

Note: This requires an explanation
When I was recovering from my illness a few years ago, my brother in law Abe Altschule, now deceased, and even though at that time divorced from my sister, sent me an e-mail of encouragement and support emphasizing the importance of attitude in transcending an illness or adversity.
He had recently had a kidney transplant, which later unfortunately proved fatal.
He wrote to me among other things, "just always remember, don't let the bastards get you down"
His thoughtful intended motivation and support was of course appreciated even though in a style I thought to be different than I was used to
Recently my friend Neil Cantor during a discussion we were having shared with me a statement he has used in his life as a motivater
"Illigetimi non carbordundum"
which he explained to me means....
"Don't let the bastards grind you down"
It was only the second time I had ever heard it used, and both times sourced by people I respect. So I am including it as this Thought For the Day